Monday 14 January 2013

Rainbow Leopard Print




Another one taken from Sharmadean Reid’s The WAH Nails Book of Nail Art, which I absolutely LOVELOVELOVE. The designs are so exciting and fresh, with classics livened up and bright new designs ready to go.
I mixed this one up a bit by using different colours, and it’s quite a fun design so I’ll definitely be experimenting with it in the future. I’m trying to take more pictures of the process to properly illustrate what I’m doing, but I might have gone a bit overboard this time!

  
Equipment

- 5 brightly coloured nail polishes

- White nail polish

- Black nail art pen

- Clear top coat



My Technique

I started off with a 5 different base colours, a pink, blue, yellow, green and red combination, and gave a double layer base coat to each nail. It’s important to give a strong base with this, especially if you’re going for brighter colour pops.


I used an ordinary white nail polish to add in  various splodges and marks. They don’t have to be neat or even, in fact the messier it looks at first the more interesting it will be at the end. Be careful not to overload the nails too much though, as you still want the colour peeking through.



Once dry, I used a black nail art pen to add in outlining around the edges of the white, and extra spots in the empty spaces. With the outlining, try dabbing with the pen to create a more uneven edge for some of the white spots and mix it up with even lines as well.

It does take a little bit of patience to wait for everything to dry, but after a top coat to finish it is so worth it!



 Alternative Techniques and Styles

I would recommend using a nail polish brush for the white dabs rather than a pen, as it’s easier to play around with size and style and you don’t have to worry about too much thickness across your nails.

After using different base colours, I’d definitely like to try out different colour pens for outlining as well. It’s such a simple design that you can really go wild with it!

~ HS


No comments:

Post a Comment